Activity 7: Understanding communication
Activity 7 is defined in regulations as -
Understanding communication by: (i) verbal means (such as hearing or lip reading) alone; (ii) non-verbal means (such as reading 16 point print or Braille) alone; or (iii) a combination of sub-paragraphs (i) and (ii), using any aid that is normally or could reasonably be used, unaided by another person.
Activity 7 considers difficulties in understanding a simple spoken or written message because of sensory impairment. In each case a descriptor can be satisfied because of hearing or sight problems, so it is only necessary to show you have difficulty or cannot understand a spoken or written message, and not both.
The descriptors that relate to activity 7 are -
- Cannot understand a simple message, such as the location of a fire escape, due to sensory impairment. 15 points
- Has significant difficulty understanding a simple message from a stranger due to sensory impairment. 15 points
- Has some difficulty understanding a simple message from a stranger due to sensory impairment. 6 points
- None of the above applies. 0 points
- Part 1 of Schedule 2 to the Employment and Support Allowance Regulations 2008 (SI.No.794/2008) (applies to income-related and contributory ESA in a universal credit live service area).
- Part 1 of Schedule 2 to the Employment and Support Allowance Regulations 2013 (SI.No.379/2013) (applies to contributory ESA in a universal credit full service area).
- Part 1 of Schedule 6 to the Universal Credit Regulations 2013 (SI.No.376/2013) (applies to universal credit).
See also section 3.2.9 of the DWP’s Work Capability Assessment handbook: for healthcare professionals.
Commentary: Whilst we don't yet have any commentary in relation to the case law items below, we'd love to hear from you if you'd like to contribute. Send us a suggestion and we’d be happy to incorporate it here. | Add commentary or suggest an edit.
Activity 7 ‘understanding communication’ can be satisfied on basis of either hearing or sight difficulties
-  UKUT 242 (AAC)
Activity 7 / claimant needs to be impaired in understanding either spoken or written communication but not both
-  UKUT 445 (AAC)
-  AACR 8