Activity 2: Standing and sitting
Activity 2 is defined in regulations as -
Standing and sitting.
Activity 2 assesses the ability to remain in one place - a workstation - by either standing with the freedom to move around, or sitting using an adjustable chair. It also assesses the ability to transfer independently from one seated position to another.
The descriptors that relate to Activity 2 are -
- Cannot move between one seated position and another seated position which are located next to one another without receiving physical assistance from another person. 15 points
- Cannot, for the majority of the time, remain at a work station: (i) standing unassisted by another person (even if free to move around) or; (ii) sitting (even in an adjustable chair) or (iii) a combination of (i) and (ii) for more than 30 minutes, before needing to move away in order to avoid significant discomfort or exhaustion. 9 points
- Cannot, for the majority of the time, remain at a work station: (i) standing unassisted by another person (even if free to move around); (ii) sitting (even in an adjustable chair); or (iii) a combination of paragraphs (i) and (ii), for more than an hour before needing to move away in order to avoid significant discomfort or exhaustion. 6 points
- None of the above applies. 0 points
- Part 1 of Schedule 2 to the Employment and Support Allowance Regulations 2008 (SI.No.794/2008) (applies to income-related and contributory ESA in a universal credit live service area).
- Part 1 of Schedule 2 to the Employment and Support Allowance Regulations 2013 (SI.No.379/2013) (applies to contributory ESA in a universal credit full service area).
- Part 1 of Schedule 6 to the Universal Credit Regulations 2013 (SI.No.376/2013) (applies to universal credit).
See also section 3.2.3 of the DWP’s Work Capability Assessment handbook: for healthcare professionals.
Whilst we don't yet have any commentary in relation to the case law items below, we'd love to hear from you if you'd like to contribute. Send us a suggestion and we’d be happy to incorporate it here. | Add commentary or suggest an edit.
ESA standing and sitting activity must be applied with regard to whether claimant could perform a job of work while remaining at a work station, but without reference to section 10 of the Equality Act (reasonable adjustments)
-  UKUT 664 (AAC)
- Standing and sitting at work station / need to move away
-  UKUT 244 (AAC)