Activity 4: Picking up and moving or transferring
Activity 4 is defined in regulations as -
Picking up and moving or transferring by the use of the upper body and arms.
Activity 4 assesses the ability to pick up and transfer articles at waist level, a level that requires neither bending down and lifting, nor reaching upwards. A claimant's upper limb power, joint movement and coordination may have to be considered.
The descriptors that relate to Activity 4 are -
- Cannot pick up and move a 0.5 litre carton full of liquid. 15 points
- Cannot pick up and move a one litre carton full of liquid. 9 points
- Cannot transfer a light but bulky object such as an empty cardboard box. 6 points
- None of the above applies. 0 points
- Part 1 of Schedule 2 to the Employment and Support Allowance Regulations 2008 (SI.No.794/2008) (applies to income-related and contributory ESA in a universal credit live service area).
- Part 1 of Schedule 2 to the Employment and Support Allowance Regulations 2013 (SI.No.379/2013) (applies to contributory ESA in a universal credit full service area).
- Part 1 of Schedule 6 to the Universal Credit Regulations 2013 (SI.No.376/2013) (applies to universal credit).
See also section 3.2.5 of the DWP’s Work Capability Assessment handbook: for healthcare professionals.
Commentary: Whilst we don't yet have any commentary in relation to the case law items below, we'd love to hear from you if you'd like to contribute. Send us a suggestion and we’d be happy to incorporate it here. | Add commentary or suggest an edit.
Account must be taken of the effect on a back condition of transferring a light but bulky object if only able to use one arm to complete the activity
-  UKUT 137 (AAC)
Carton of liquid in descriptors 4(a) and 4(b) is a closed carton and therefore spilling does not arise
-  UKUT 74 (AAC)
- Whether descriptor 4(c) - transferring a light but bulky object - can be satisfied with one good arm
-  UKUT 548 (AAC)
Claimant with use of one hand was able to use a suitable keyboard or mouse, but unable to transfer a light but bulky object
-  UKUT 455 (AAC)
Descriptor 5(c) / need to consider neck and shoulder problems in addition to ability to grip with hands
-  UKUT 461 (AAC)