Activity 8: Navigation and maintaining safety
Activity 8 is defined in regulations as -
Navigation and maintaining safety using a guide dog or other aid if either or both are normally used or could reasonably be used.
Activity 8 considers the impact of visual restrictions on the ability to safely navigate having regard to reduced function in central vision and focus, peripheral vision and a person’s ability to adapt to their condition. The person’s confidence and training must be taken into account and the concept of safety awareness and the person’s ability to safely negotiate hazards in a workplace must also be considered. The navigation activity has no LCWRA descriptor so it is important to consider whether those with visual restriction may meet LCWRA criteria in Activity 6: Making self understood or Activity 7: Understanding communication.
The descriptors that relate to Activity 8 are -
- Unable to navigate around familiar surroundings, without being accompanied by another person, due to sensory impairment. 15 points
- Cannot safely complete a potentially hazardous task such as crossing the road, without being accompanied by another person, due to sensory impairment. 15 points
- Unable to navigate around unfamiliar surroundings, without being accompanied by another person, due to sensory impairment. 9 points
- None of the above applies. 0 points
- Part 1 of Schedule 2 to the Employment and Support Allowance Regulations 2008 (SI.No.794/2008) (applies to income-related and contributory ESA in a universal credit live service area).
- Part 1 of Schedule 2 to the Employment and Support Allowance Regulations 2013 (SI.No.379/2013) (applies to contributory ESA in a universal credit full service area).
- Part 1 of Schedule 6 to the Universal Credit Regulations 2013 (SI.No.376/2013) (applies to universal credit).
See also section 3.2.7 of the DWP’s Work Capability Assessment handbook: for healthcare professionals.
Commentary: Whilst we don't yet have any commentary in relation to the case law items below, we'd love to hear from you if you'd like to contribute. Send us a suggestion and we’d be happy to incorporate it here. | Add commentary or suggest an edit.