Activity 15: Getting about
Activity 15 is defined in regulations as -
Activity 15 assesses the ability to travel without support from another person as a result of disorientation; or of agoraphobia causing fear of travelling unaccompanied by another person. Specified places with which a person is familiar include locations in their local area such as the GP surgery, dentist, bank, post office, local shops etc.
Note (5 September 2023): the government has launched a consultation on reform of the work capability assessment including proposals to remove the getting about activity or reduce the points awarded for its descriptors. The deadline for responding to the consultation is 30 October 2023.
The descriptors that relate to Activity 15 are -
- Cannot get to any place outside the claimant's home with which the claimant is familiar. 15 points
- Is unable to get to a specified place with which the claimant is familiar, without being accompanied by another person. 9 points
- Is unable to get to a specified place with which the claimant is unfamiliar without being accompanied by another person. 6 points
- None of the above applies. 0 points
- Part 2 of Schedule 2 to the Employment and Support Allowance Regulations 2008 (SI.No.794/2008) and Part 2 of Schedule 2 to SR.No.280/2008 in Northern Ireland (apply to income-related and old-style contributory ESA).
- Part 2 of Schedule 2 to the Employment and Support Allowance Regulations 2013 (SI.No.379/2013) and Part 2 of Schedule 2 to SR.No.219/2016 in Northern Ireland (apply to new-style contributory ESA).
- Part 2 of Schedule 6 to the Universal Credit Regulations 2013 (SI.No.376/2013) and Part 2 of Schedule 6 to SR.No.216/2016 in Northern Ireland (apply to universal credit).
See also section 3.5.6 of the DWP’s Work Capability Assessment handbook: for healthcare professionals.
Commentary: Whilst we don't yet have any commentary in relation to the case law items below, we'd love to hear from you if you'd like to contribute. Send us a suggestion and we’d be happy to incorporate it here. | Add commentary or suggest an edit.
- Taxi driver may be accompanying claimant for the purposes of activity 15
-  UKUT 96 (AAC)
Specific mental illness or disability need only be ‘effective’ cause of inability to perform activity, and need not be the root or primary cause
-  UKUT 646 (AAC)
Descriptor 1 of Activity 15 requires investigation of whether claimant can go to a place outside the immediate vicinity of their home
-  UKUT 531 (AAC)
- When is engagement in social contact ‘always precluded’
-  UKUT 552 (AAC)
- Anxiety and depression
- Coping with social engagement (LCW)
- Coping with social engagement (LCWRA)
- Getting about
- Majority of time / always
Whether inability to get to one particular place satisfies the ‘getting about’ activity / tribunal’s duty to explore whether claimant’s ability to present case hampered by not receiving documents
-  UKUT 79 (AAC)