Activity 15: Getting about
Activity 15 is defined in regulations as -
Activity 15 assesses the ability to travel without support from another person as a result of disorientation; or of agoraphobia causing fear of travelling unaccompanied by another person. Specified places with which a person is familiar include locations in their local area such as the GP surgery, dentist, bank, post office, local shops etc.
The descriptors that relate to Activity 15 are -
- Cannot get to any place outside the claimant's home with which the claimant is familiar. 15 points
- Is unable to get to a specified place with which the claimant is familiar, without being accompanied by another person. 9 points
- Is unable to get to a specified place with which the claimant is unfamiliar without being accompanied by another person. 6 points
- None of the above applies. 0 points
- Part 2 of Schedule 2 to the Employment and Support Allowance Regulations 2008 (SI.No.794/2008) and Part 2 of Schedule 2 to SR.No.280/2008 in Northern Ireland (apply to income-related and old-style contributory ESA).
- Part 2 of Schedule 2 to the Employment and Support Allowance Regulations 2013 (SI.No.379/2013) and Part 2 of Schedule 2 to SR.No.219/2016 in Northern Ireland (apply to new-style contributory ESA).
- Part 2 of Schedule 6 to the Universal Credit Regulations 2013 (SI.No.376/2013) and Part 2 of Schedule 6 to SR.No.216/2016 in Northern Ireland (apply to universal credit).
See also section 3.5.6 of the DWP’s Work Capability Assessment handbook: for healthcare professionals.
Commentary: Whilst we don't yet have any commentary in relation to the case law items below, we'd love to hear from you if you'd like to contribute. Send us a suggestion and we’d be happy to incorporate it here. | Add commentary or suggest an edit.
- Taxi driver may be accompanying claimant for the purposes of activity 15
-  UKUT 96 (AAC)
Specific mental illness or disability need only be ‘effective’ cause of inability to perform activity, and need not be the root or primary cause
-  UKUT 646 (AAC)
Descriptor 1 of Activity 15 requires investigation of whether claimant can go to a place outside the immediate vicinity of their home
-  UKUT 531 (AAC)
- When is engagement in social contact ‘always precluded’
-  UKUT 552 (AAC)
- Anxiety and depression
- Coping with social engagement (LCW)
- Coping with social engagement (LCWRA)
- Getting about
- Majority of time / always
Whether inability to get to one particular place satisfies the ‘getting about’ activity / tribunal’s duty to explore whether claimant’s ability to present case hampered by not receiving documents
-  UKUT 79 (AAC)